My favorite motivational speech
Jun 24, 2022 12:30 pm
I hate paying full price for anything - but especially for software. I never wanted to buy a subscription product again, so I created AppSumo 12 years ago. Now it’s the #1 site for software deals for startups. Check it out - save money.
Howdy friend, here's 3 fun nuggets to make your week even better...
This is my favorite motivational speech – ever!
Art Williams was a high school English teacher and football coach. He started selling life insurance as a side hustle, and did so well that he launched his own firm with no business experience.
In 6 years, it was the largest term life insurance company in America. And in 10 years, it was a billion-dollar company.
These are some of his keys to success:
- People won’t believe in a crybaby: 90% of success comes down to being excited to do what you do - so be enthusiastic. Don’t play the victim.
- Successful people vs. super successful people: What does the $500k/year person do that the $50k/year person doesn’t do? They pay the price a little bit more. They work that little bit harder. They save that little bit smarter.
- The winners do it: “Almost” is a way of life for more people. They almost succeed. They almost get to the finish line. But winners do it. People can say you can’t do it, but that doesn’t mean anything if you’re out there getting it done.
A few years ago, I challenged myself to make $1000 in 24 hours.
There were some rules:
- My audience picked the business idea
- I had to start with $0
- I couldn’t sell to my audience
And it worked!
I made $1k in revenue and $4k in profit in 24 hours… and sold the business for $100k a year later.
My buddy Adam Gilbert sent me a little pep talk the other day about how to not worry.
It’s short - but I’ve been thinking about it a lot since he sent it.
If you worry a lot about things you have limited control over, maybe it will make you think too.