Meet the $200 million Texas furniture tycoon
Aug 05, 2022 12:31 pm
Howdy friends, here are your three fun nuggets for the week…
I wanted to find out about Texas furniture tycoon Mattress Mack’s $200 million/year business, including why he doesn’t mind losing multi-million dollar sports bets and why his personal bathroom is the secret behind his success (yes, really)...
He told me about:
- The unfair advantage that helped his business succeed
- How he rebounded from losing $10 million dollars of merchandise in a warehouse fire
- And why losing $10 million dollar sports bets actually makes him money
There’s a lot of good books on starting a business… But not a ton on growing or scaling.
Amp it Up by Frank Slootman is a great one.
Frank doesn’t start companies—he grows them. He took over the Snowflake data management company when it was worth $4 billion and now, after leading it into the largest software IPO ever—it’s valued around $85 billion.
Two key questions the book asked that inspired me to think about AppSumo’s trajectory differently:
- If you can ONLY do one thing to help your business the rest of the year, what would it be and why?
- How could we do this project in ½ the time?
Love the idea of using these to increase the focus and pace of our company.
Recently I sat down with Graham Stephan and Jack Selby on The Iced Coffee Hour Podcast. We got deep on a few topics, like:
- How I actually went from a $50k/year job to a $25 million net worth
- What getting fired from Facebook was like
- Why getting rich doesn’t solve your dating life
A lot of you reached out saying you loved the episode, so if you haven’t tuned in yet, it’s worth a listen.