Instagram LogoIt started out with a splinter! “Ouch” “Ouuuuuccchhhh” (emphasis his ??) My 8 year old looked annoyed. I finally took it out. “That hurt” I apologized and seized a teaching moment to illustrate that some times in life we have to endure discomfort for a greater good .. in the long run! “Like shots...” my daughter chimed in. I got excited ? “yes like shots... vaccines” “What do vaccines ??do? “ she asked. I explained the immune system as a collection of tiny soldiers that help fight off bacteria, viruses and fungi. “Fun guy?” No, not fun ??... fungi Vaccines are made to help in the fight against bacteria and viruses ?. When parts of the virus for example are injected in the form of a vaccine... “Ewwwww”... they chorused “Not all of it but parts of it or a code to make parts of it... When it’s injected it helps your body practice fighting it off before the real battle comes” So when that real “bug” comes to attack ?? ”Mayday Mayday” ?? (with my hand rolled up in a fist ?? over my mouth for cool mom special effects ??) the tiny soldiers sound an alarm as they prepare to find it off like a ninja?! “ I bet my body is a cool ninja” he said. Yes it is! Yes it is mdear. ??‍♀️So what inconveniences have you considered lately? ??‍♀️The ones you know are oh-so-good for you? ??Like adding some fruits to your diet ??‍♀️?or taking a walk instead of driving next door ... Remember, no matter the inconvenience YOU are worth it! So here’s to you , changing your health outcomes one ?inconvenience at a time! In health, Dr. Olabintan PS: sign up for more health nuggets - see comments for link
Instagram LogoIn the wake of Texas storms there have been increased reports of Carbon Monoxide poisoning ☠️⚠️as many have been forced to rely on heating devices to maintain warmth. ?ER docs are reporting more cases, some fatal in Texas. Carbon Monoxide is odorless and colorless and that makes it a silent killer ? Please be safe! Here are a few tips from the CDC as it relates to use of heaters...⛔️ ⚠️Never leave the motor running in a vehicle parked in an enclosed or partially enclosed space, such as a garage ⚠️Never run a motor vehicle, generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine less than 20 feet from a from an open window, door, or vent where exhaust can vent into an enclosed area. ⚠️Never use a charcoal grill, hibachi, lantern, or portable camping stove inside a home, tent, or camper. ⚠️Never run a generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine inside a basement, garage, or other enclosed structure, even if the doors or windows are open. ⚠️If you suspect CO poisoning, call 911 or a health care professional right away ⚠️Check or change the batteries in your CO detector every six months. If you don’t have a battery-powered or battery back-up CO detector, buy one soon. ⚠️Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year. ⚠️Keep vents and flues free of debris. Debris can block ventilation lines. Warming centers across the state are an option... Texans are known for their warmth... those with power and heat are rooming those without! Please reach out! #TexasStrong #mansfield #copoisoning #copoisoningawareness