The Chai Times // 10 takeaways from the 10 commandments
May 25, 2023 11:16 pm
Tonight begins the holiday of Shavuot, celebrating when we received the Ten Commandments at Mt. Sinai 3,335 years ago. Here are 10 takeaways from the 10 commandments - written by our dear friend Rabbi Zalmy Dubinsky of CYP Raleigh.
1. It's time to let go. Trust in G-d. G-d always has your back.
2. Idols don't need to live in a temple. Ditch the worship of fame, money or success.
3. Experience life intentionally. Transform the mundane into something divine.
4. Embrace Shabbat. Channel the creative energy of the workweek into the G-dly space of Shabbat.
5. Always be grateful for those who raised you, helping you become the incredible person you are. Your mother, father, and G-d.
6. Your body is sacred. Your life is sacred. respect it, cherish it, and nourish it.
7. Introduce G-d into your relationship. It will infuse your marriage with meaning, purpose, and profound love.
8. Ownership is not random. Only you can make your belongings into something holy.
9. You have the incredible ability to influence others. Use it authentically to inspire others to live more wholesome lives.
10. Envy is ignorance. G-d created you with unique skills and challenges. You have them for a purpose. Don't be ignorant of what G-d gave you.
Wishing you an uplifting Shabbat,
Rabbi Mendy & Mussy
p.s. As always, we would love to chat with you over coffee or drinks, about Judaism, or just life - reply to this email.
G‑d could have chosen to give the Torah to pure, enlightened souls.
Jewish Birthday Initiative:
The Jewish Birthday Initiative is here to inspire you to celebrate your Jewish birthday in addition to your secular birthday
If you would like, we can send you a notification regarding your Jewish birthday with the traditions and ideas on how to celebrate.
Please fill out your information in this form and we will take it from there. (All information remains confidential and secure within our database.)
Here is the link again:
Make your life easy! Subscribe to the YJP Public Google Calendar and never miss an event.
Weekly Shabbat Services: (this week as well!)
- Shabbat morning services 10:20 am
- Torah discussion and reading 11:00 am (sharp)
- Followed by Kiddush and Cholent
5/26: Tomorrow: Shavuot 10 Commandments and Ice Cream Party Friday
🌱 Chai Society:
Special thanks to the Chai Society members who donate monthly to support YJP events and activities.
Yankee Andrusierׁ • Ronit Baum • Carolina Bueno • Marc Cooper • Nate Firebaugh • Aviva Frank • Paulina Flasch • Matt Ford • Pavel Gitnik • Sarah Guccione • Max Goldberg • Ari & Sandra Hoffman • Noah Kagan • Ben Marchiony • Michael Nadel • Yoni Oettinger • Noah Sinai • Daniel Speiss • Cindy & Mark Sichel • Dustin Tropp • Chaim & Amanda Pollak • Avremi Zippel
Together, we’re High Energy!
Light your candles at 8:06 pm
and tomorrow at 8:07 pm
in Austin, TX
Shabbat Shalom, friend!
Support Chabad YJP's mission to build community and curate epic experiences for young Jews in Austin!
Share this email, invite friends, join a committee, or donate at yjpaustin.org/donate