What do you get when you combine third trimester pregnancy, childhood croup and work deadlines?
Nov 21, 2021 2:59 am
🎢Whooohoooo here we go again – one day late to your inbox but I made it!
Amy from Mixing Babies And Business™ here, this week has been a bit of a ride.
How about you?
I met most of my deadlines (the rest I cancelled) while navigating unexpected prenatal appointments, prescriptions, a kid home sick from daycare, multiple sleepless nights helping the little dude, ending with a diagnosis of croup and some meds.
Apparently it's going around. And I don't just mean the 'croup'.
I mean the neverending juggle of trying to maintain some semblance of life as usual routines in between being as flexible as you're able to in the event you need to drop everything and shuttle a child to an appointment or just cuddle on the couch.
Here are some stats and articles for good measure on this whole parental burnout thing, since we're now almost two years into the pandemic.
We're all doing our best with whatever help we can get and you are most definitely not alone:
- CTV News: https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/tech-meant-to-make-remote-work-easier-burdened-mothers-mental-health-during-pandemic-study-1.5674638
- CBC: https://www.cbc.ca/parents/learning/view/young-mom-parent-burnt-out-dont-want-us-to-think-thats-normal
- Maclean's: https://www.macleans.ca/society/health/the-pandemic-is-breaking-parents/
The above photo is one of my kids joining me in the office as I attempted to edit my second podcast interview for Season 3.
That lasted about 15 minutes before he got bored of my candles, crystals and stationery supplies but I try to work ahead and batch as much as I can.
My systems aren't perfect but they work for me right now and I try to let it go when it doesn't go as planned.
Are there any things you try to practice right now when it comes to your work, which help with life's ups and downs?
Reply with what works for you, I'm curious to see how others are coping.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend and I'll be back in your inbox December 3rd.
– Amy Lynch (+ Family)
Founder, Event + Podcast Host
Mixing Babies And Business™
P.S. Ask for your network:
If you know of any corporations or organizations who may be interested in the topic of creating more parent-friendly business spaces and experiences, please forward this newsletter and encourage them to get in touch!
My third baby is due in January, so I'm trying to book things in before then or in the second half of 2022: firstname.lastname@example.org
MIXING BABIES AND BUSINESS™ PODCAST
Catch up on Season 3's mini episodes, these ones are out now:
- EP 36 | Advocating for maternal health and cultivating digital wellness spaces with Adonica Shaw | PT 1
- EP 33–35 | Building a sustainable Indigenous beauty brand and learning a new industry with Jennifer Harper | PT 1, 2 & 3
- EP 32 | Season 3 welcome and introduction to our parent-friendly professional development podcast with Amy Lynch
PT 2 & 3 of my chat with Adonica are dropping November 23 and 26, with interviews featuring Jane Downes and Rashmi Sirdeshpande out over the coming weeks.
🌟 Thanks for listening, please subscribe and leave a review – it helps others find the podcast!
PARENT-FRIENDLY BUSINESS NEWS / OPPORTUNITIES / EVENTS FOR YOU
No paid ads or sponsorship involved, just spreading the word and business goodness for you:
- FUNDING: Cradlewise raised $7M in a seed round for continued development of their 3-in-1 Smart Crib, the only baby product in the market using deep tech and AI to learn the baby’s sleep patterns and growth trend – built by parents to help parents AND newborns sleep.
- LAUNCHING: In this blog post, Denise Duffield-Thomas shares practical launch tips for businesses, which include blocking in and arranging for childcare, self-care and your medical appointments to keep things running smoothly.
- EXITING: In this blog post, Alexis Grant covers four tips for founders to consider implementing now, if you're looking to sell your business in future.
- EMPLOYMENT: This opinion piece from The Nation outlines why Dad's have a role in advocating for parental leave at work too.
- EMPLOYMENT: Flexible childcare company Bubble is offering London startups £1,000 of free childcare credits to enhance their employee benefits.
- ACTIVISM: These articles from BBC News and The Times about women working from home during the pandemic, caused quite a bit of backlash from the wording of the headlines to the Bank Of England Catherine Mann's quotes, responses were issued from Pregnant Then Screwed, Mother Pukka and more.
- INDUSTRY: An opinion piece for the Huffington Post from a mother who previously worked for a parenting focused publication as the Editor-In-Chief but quit due to personal and professional reasons.
- INDUSTRY: A personal piece from Christine Michel Carter about career-driven people, the current state of the workforce for parents and where mothers go once they have children.
- INVESTING: Mike Michalowicz has released his latest book and it's for kids! The author of Profit First and Get Different has published My Money Bunnies to help create a Kid's System to Money Management.
- INVESTING: Sarah Drinkwater's piece for Sifted covers why she thinks Angel Investors need investment theses too.
- INVESTING: FEMPIRE x SoGal is hosting a free online workshop about the basics of Angel Investing on Tuesday, November 30, 2021 at 2:30 PM EST.
- STARTUP: Small Business Week events took place online throughout October and Startup Canada's YouTube Channel has released replays.
- BRANDING: Founders Fund in Canada hosted a moderated online panel 'Your Brand Isn't For Everyone' with five guest speaker founders in late October, covering cancel culture, public criticism, price shaming and what they've learned from their experiences – their Giving Tuesday Wish List (under $1,000 CAD) for founders deadline to apply is Monday, November 29, 2021.
- SUPPORT: #ShopSheEO has been released this week as a way to support female-founded companies across five markets in the UK, US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Crafted with 💜 and care in Canada
Sending you positive vibes and parenthood solidarity ✨
Copyright © 2016–2021 Amy Maureen Lynch, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email as you have indicated your interest in Mixing Babies And Business™ / Babies, Business + Breakfast™ and/or registered via our online opt-in. We don't SPAM, do third party advertising or share your details. Only parenthood and professional development goodness to keep you motivated and informed!